Skip to content

Candidate Quotations

From today’s Coast Star.  Thanks Coast Star!

Jim Bean:

Tom Carvelli:

Maggie McBride:

Jim McCracken:

Cheryl Russo:

54 Comments

  1. Not Taking Sides But wrote:

    Jim Bean is the only one who gave very specific answers to the question. Everyone else, not so much. Just al of of buzzwords.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 9:17 am | Permalink
  2. Lol wrote:

    The dems are a joke. No plan just slinging mud. Hey Dems, you got us in this mess because of your constituents corruption and mismanagement

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 9:21 am | Permalink
  3. Resident wrote:

    I agree, the Dems are a joke. But so is Carvelli. He has to go.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 9:49 am | Permalink
  4. #1 – Yes, that’s exactly what it looks like. Thank you, Jim Bean, for including some specific actions for us to consider. I was hoping the Democratic candidates would give us something other than that they don’t like the tax increase. Yeah, we know already – who does? Do they know what circumstances brought on such an increase? Their plan is to “get our financial house in order” and “get our town back on track financially”. Well, that tells us a lot, doesn’t it? Will they ever give us a hint at what course of action they might take? The Republicans just continue to talk in circles with those nice buzzwords.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 10:32 am | Permalink
  5. Middle sass wrote:

    How? How you you plan to end the ‘reckless’ tax hike? The two democratic candidates have virtually the same response. It’s those tired old talking points that are straight out of the Doherty lowest common denominator play book. Platitudes with zero substance, unmoored from any semblance to reality. Do they really think that the electorate is that stupid? Oh wait.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 10:32 am | Permalink
  6. So, the Democratic candidates refer to the tax hike as “reckless” and “out of control”? That’s funny, … those are the same terms most of us use when referring to the actions & spending of the former administration.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 11:22 am | Permalink
  7. Anonymous wrote:

    Mr. Bean had the best answer by far. A question I have for the incumbents is what have you done so far to act on what you said in your answers and moving forward, why should anyone believe that you’ll do anything now ? Cuts need to be made and buying polo shirts and a coffee maker on my tax dollars isn’t such a great start.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 11:29 am | Permalink
  8. Average Joe wrote:

    That guy Bean is way above the other candidates. He gave specifics Others just BS

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
  9. anon wrote:

    Well it appears there will be no candidates debate so these interviews by the Star are about the most we are going to get. Objectively only one of the five had any concrete proposals.The two incumbents seem to be afraid to say what they would do if allowed to continue in office,mostly they gave us Pablum. The two Dems are one trick ponies with nothing to say but bah to the tax hike and we can all agree[i think] that we don’t like tax hikes but the sin is the hole the previous Dem M&C put the town in that required the big hike. I don’t like it but i understand why when things like the 600k fiasco and the 1 mil overpay were coming our way.My gripe is a failure to find a way to make some budget cuts which to me is both bad policy and bad politics. Fiscal care of the taxpayers money is a mindset and the only candidate i see with that mindset is Bean. Too bad one of the other candidates will get a seat since Bean can only fill one but i would rather have at least one fiscal hawk than none. Its a shame there were no independent minded Dems
    with a serious fiscal conservative viewpoint willing to acknowledge the sins of the prior M&C and provide an alternative to the ‘avid athlete’.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:07 pm | Permalink
  10. Ms Russo says she will stop the tax increases and Ms McBride says she will put an end to the tax increases! WOO-HOO!!! They must have come up with the elusive solution as to how we will dig ourselves out of so much fraudulently acquired debt AND not have large tax increases! Ladies, please tell us how you will work your magic!

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
  11. Were the Democratic candidates given the same script to try and memorize before giving their statements?

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
  12. porky pig wrote:

    Russo and McBride to those in charge: “Stop it, just stop it…” That’s all, folks.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 1:01 pm | Permalink
  13. Guest wrote:

    What the heck did Carvelli say?

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
  14. Anonymous wrote:

    I really wish Mr. Bean had a running mate with the same specific plan as his. The others are just a joke. Here we go again. Vote these people out, Dems. or Reps., doesn’t matter. One vote- Jim Bean.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  15. Duh wrote:

    Tom Carvel should go back to making Fudgy the Whale ice cream cakes.
    I dont trust him one bit.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 2:19 pm | Permalink
  16. anonymous wrote:

    If the whole town only votes for Jim Bean and the other 4 get ZERO ,we can have a re-do with another representative.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  17. #16 – If only…(sigh)

    It does look like Jim Bean is working toward solutions. The Democrat candidates appear to just be pawns. After attending this year’s council meetings, it seems to me that McCracken has a little more on the ball than his running mate. Bean & McCracken might be the way to go.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 5:12 pm | Permalink
  18. Registered Democrat wrote:

    #14 is a democrat trying to get you to bullet vote for Bean which will result in both Democrats being elected, resulting in Doherty being in control again,which is the last thing Belmar needs.

    Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 8:52 pm | Permalink
  19. Anonymous wrote:

    #18- Wrong…. #14 is a staunch Trump supporter trying to get a guy elected that will have absolutely no skin in whatever vote needs to be taken. Bean has no hidden agendas and will keep transparent this mess. Let the chips fall as to whomever the majority wishes (Dem. or Rep.) Parties should have no meaning in local politics. One vote- Jim Bean.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 6:47 am | Permalink
  20. Guest wrote:

    18 – Good try, but a bullet vote for Bean will most likely get him elected.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 7:04 am | Permalink
  21. Nightmare wrote:

    #18 – That is so true – and that would be awful!

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 7:10 am | Permalink
  22. ANONYMOUS wrote:

    #18, so don’t vote for the candidate with the best ideas because it will result in Doherty being Mayor again. Got it!

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 7:18 am | Permalink
  23. Hmmm wrote:

    18- What? So everyone voting for Bean will result in Russo and McBride being elected? I mean maybe Bean and one of the dems is possible but how would everyone voting for Bean result in BOTH women being elected? And if you believe your logic to be sound, what’s the alternative? Don’t vote for Bean? And you’re accusing #14 of being a political trickster?

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 7:20 am | Permalink
  24. Tom Dilberger wrote:

    Yes, I think Jim gave the best answer to the question. But we have come a long way from normal logical thinking. It’s my belief these local elections are just an experiment in how far illogical thought processes can be pressed on the public. The result of this election will give us a glimpse of the answer. In that I’m a prisoner of logical thinking, my vote will go to Jim Bean.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 7:35 am | Permalink
  25. Lets hear it wrote:

    Jim,I know you read the blog so I propose one question. Why would you be against a PILOT program that is generating more tax money to Belmar’s school than what was previously there? Please enlighten me to why that is bad. Thanks.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 8:03 am | Permalink
  26. #11 – That’s what pawns do. It would be kind of amusing, if it weren’t so sad. Those two candidates don’t seem to be independent thinkers. The definition of a pawn is, “a person used by others for their own purposes.” Now, let’s think about this… Who could be trying to use them for their own purposes???

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 8:28 am | Permalink
  27. Yes let’s wrote:

    #25 I’m not Jim Bean but I’d like to field that one if I may. Maybe you should sit down for this… THE PILOT PROGRAM IS SET UP SO THAT THE SCHOOL RECEIVES NO MONEY. Pilot is an acronym for Payment In Lieu Of Taxes. Now before you break out your dictionary- in lieu means instead. In other words- the town gets paid some money but that money is not taxes. The school gets zilch, nada, bupcas. So now I pose to you one question- After all that has been discussed about the pilot, all that has been in the news, all that has been on this blog, how on earth is it that there is a person in this town that still doesn’t understand it? Enlighten all of us why you don’t seem to be able to grasp that. Thanks

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 8:48 am | Permalink
  28. OLD MAN wrote:

    #25 I’m sure Bean will supply you with a valid answer. That’s if your statement is correct

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 8:55 am | Permalink
  29. Turnout wrote:

    We are talking very low voter turn out this year as there is no top of the ticket races.Vote for Bean and take your neighbors to vote for Jim Bean.He will keep an eye on things.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 9:35 am | Permalink
  30. Lets hear it wrote:

    #27,the school budget is receiving more from the new building on 10th, then it was previously. How is that hurting the town,school??instead of a dictionary, pull out the facts.Please don’t be a sheep that just follows its herd, try some research.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 10:14 am | Permalink
  31. Seriously? wrote:

    OMG #30. This has been discussed endlessly for the past three years. Do you really not get it? Do you attend ANY council meetings?
    Yes, the TOWN is receiving more money than the previous building paid in taxes. But it is NOT taxes. It is Payment In Lieu of Taxes. Therefore the school DOES NOT receive what would normally be it’s share of the taxes. IF the building had to pay regular property taxes, yes the school would be getting more money. But the building IS NOT paying taxes. When Matt was confronted about this at that ridiculous ‘town hall’ meeting he did, ironically, at the school a few years ago (I guess you weren’t there) he claimed “but there are no children living there” (meaning the project on 5th and main which was the first PILOT). Now let’s forget for a second that none of the PILOT projects are age restricted meaning that kids may live there one day. But it also implies that people in town that don’t have school age children living at home shouldn’t have to pay school taxes. Anyone on this blog like to get in on that action?
    You, my friend, are the sheep. YOU need to do some research. The PILOT program is designed to make it attractive to developers to develop in areas that need improvement. Taxes are deferred for up to 30 years. It is people like you, that don’t understand this relatively simple construct, that make it possible for people like Matt Doherty get elected. Not only is the PILOT bad for the school, it is also unnecessary in a town with real estate values like Belmar. But don’t take my word for it. Call the mayor and/or the council. Ask them. Look up the pilot program on line. Contact the Belmar board or ed and ask them. Whatever you need to do to educate yourself.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 11:14 am | Permalink
  32. Lets hear it wrote:

    #31, So you didn’t check it out? you are wrong. That new building IS contributing more to the school then the previous. Just a fact. BHAAAA, BHAAA!!

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 11:56 am | Permalink
  33. Jim Bean wrote:

    The only way I can follow your logic is if the pilot program spurred massive construction and only adults with no children moved in. In 10 years, these folks will be paying school taxes but not using the resources of the school. Is that your logic?

    PILOT programs take a building that was paying $1000, ($400 school $600 local, country) and lets them rebuild to a building that should pay $2000 in taxes ($800, $1200) but instead they are going to be paying $900 to the county and no school tax for, let’s say, 10 years. They will return to normal taxing rate after the PILOT time period. During that 10 years the buildings tenants are families that use the school system but aren’t paying into it. This burden is then shifted to everyone else in town for that 10 years and the school budget actually loses $400 each year.

    In a town that has blight this program makes sense to spur build newer housing stock. I could argue if giving tax incentives spurs building then lowering taxes to the spurring rate will do the same and be a fairer tax code, but that is a different topic.

    Developers will make plenty of money redeveloping in Belmar. We are booming. New houses are going up everywhere. Property values are way up. Why allow politicians to cut tax deals with developers when it isn’t needed? It’s just asking for corruption. There is no reason to starve the school system just for developers to pocket a little more profit. No developer will walk away because of not getting a PILOT tax break in Belmar AT THIS TIME. If I’m wrong then maybe we shouldn’t have raised taxes 21% making it even worse.

    Attached is a story where Mayor Walsifer did not use the PILOT program and he still built.

    It states in the article

    “Unlike some redevelopment projects, Brown said the condos will be taxed normally and not utilize a “payment in lieu of taxes” (PILOT) concept in which taxes are only paid to the municipality and county and not the school system.”

    https://thecoaster.net/wordpress/70-new-condo-units-on-track-for-neptune-city/

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 12:24 pm | Permalink
  34. PILOT & Bean wrote:

    Let’s not forget Bean was fine with the PILOTS (at least in regards to the school). He posted here that we were barking up the wrong tree about that issue and stated it’s not a problem. Now he’s making it an issue. It’s politics…….

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
  35. Anonymous wrote:

    People- wasn’t Bean the only one who called Doherty out on his BS budgets ? If I recall correctly, Walsifer didn’t. So in reality Walsifer was part of creating this problem. (Brennum too)

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  36. How much weed? wrote:

    32-First, it’s than not then. Second, I’ve been ‘checking it out’ for over three years. The pilot program is a tax deferment program. A town CAN negotiate and earmark money for the local school but Belmar didn’t do that. I can’t imagine where you’re getting your info but if you’d be so kind as to share the link or the website or the newspaper or the school representative that gave you this information, we’re all ears and eyes. Let me guess, “I’m not going to spoon feed you!” Is that what you’re going to say? You’ve commented on here before. Nothing has changed since then.
    The pilot program in unambiguous. It is what it is. You seem to be either one of the developers or maybe Brian McGovern (he had to be corrected several times when he referred to pilot projects bringing us ‘ratables’). There are no ratables with pilot projects.
    Maybe you think that with more people living in town, the school will sell more baked goods or get more folks at the charity car wash? Is that what you mean by more money? Anyway I’m done trying to reason with a fence post.
    Anyone else wanna chime in? This person seems to have lost touch with reality.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 12:58 pm | Permalink
  37. T’issue wrote:

    34- It’s actually #30 that’s making it an issue. As is typical for the truly ignorant. Its just a fact about PILOT programs and school funding. You can have an opinion about whether or not it’s fair but you can’t make stuff up. The Belmar PILOT money doesn’t go to the school. End of story.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
  38. Jim Bean wrote:

    #34 – I am not against PILOT programs. I am against PILOT programs when everything is booming.

    #31 – They might be paying more into the school system then before but not as much as they should be. That’s the program.

    How can anyone be for a PILOT program and for raising taxes 21%? We will cut you a break on taxes while we raise taxes?

    #25 – why don’t you call out any of the other candidates by name and demand an answer? Get them to respond where they stand on PILOT programs in today’s age.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
  39. Lets hear it wrote:

    Jim, sorry incorrect. That building is contributing more tax dollars to the school now then the old building did. Fact!

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
  40. Anonymous wrote:

    It would be nice to hear from someone who’s on the B of E

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
  41. Registered Democrat wrote:

    #23 not logic just math, republican council only won last year by around 10 percent I believe democrats are voting for those two democrats the rest are choosing between three, last years margin doesn’t give much wiggle room and a bullet vote narrows it even more.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:11 pm | Permalink
  42. SMH wrote:

    # 39. That building is part of the pilot program and therefore doesn’t pay ANY taxes, literally by definition. So not a ‘fact’. Now, if you’ll like to provide (or direct us to) some ‘evidence’ to support your ‘facts’, we’d love to hear.
    Otherwise you are just a person that is saying things. We’ve all been to the meetings about the PILOT. We’ve all see the documents outlining the dispersement of revenue by the actual building you are referring to. It was actually posted on this blog a while back. Go take a look. It shows that the school gets none of the revenues. That’s called proof. If you would like to offer proof, please do. If the pilot building is providing money to the school then I am 100% for it. Unfortunately, it’s not. It’s not worth this back and forth. Provide proof of your claim or stop the nonsense.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:06 pm | Permalink
  43. anon wrote:

    Ask Aileen, she has been stating that the school is not getting $$$$ from the PILOT sites. I do believe she mentioned it when the star reported on her run for re elect and intends to talk to the M&C about it. I concur with Bean, PILOT programs are unnecessary in Belmar at the present time.Economics are such that there is decent $$$ to be made without the handout.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:13 pm | Permalink
  44. Jim Bean wrote:

    #39 is playing word games.

    Nobody is saying its not.

    I’m not explaining it again. I believe you understand and just want to play. Please re-read comment #38 if not.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:25 pm | Permalink
  45. #39 Yes – please provide proof for your point, or move on. Hey, how do the Democratic candidates feel about the program? What are some of their proposed solutions for getting our budget under control? Hard to tell from their vague (and very similar) statements to the paper. Has anyone made an appointment to have an audience with them in the privacy of your own home?

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:35 pm | Permalink
  46. Anonymous wrote:

    Just the fact the Mr Bean brought this topic out in the open and caused all this discussion is a win. I haven’t heard one iota of a plan from any other candidate. Thanks Jim

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 4:17 pm | Permalink
  47. Attention seeker wrote:

    ‘Let’s hear it’ is playing games. They are aware of the PILOT and what it stands for. No evidence, just words. Probably just someone looking for attention. They’ve commented on this blog before and will again. They were shut down last time when confronted with the revenue statement from the town. Pesky facts got in the way of the story.

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
  48. #46 – Yes. Thank you Mr. Bean. Imagine how beneficial a candidate forum would have been to the Belmar voters! Why wouldn’t the Democratic candidates take advantage of such an opportunity to share their values and prospective plans for our town? It sure makes it difficult for us to make an informed & educated decision on election day. Just wondering… could that be what they want?

    Friday, October 11, 2019 at 8:29 pm | Permalink
  49. OLD MAN wrote:

    The democrats just want to get back in power and make the place even worse. Vote Jim Bean and shut up. Do not vote for anyone else. Because when that other person gets in and shows their true colors ….You can’t be blamed for it

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:40 am | Permalink
  50. Registered Democrat wrote:

    Old man please call your son and have him explain to you why your bullet vote idea for Jim will result in both democrats being elected.

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:31 am | Permalink
  51. Exclusionary tale wrote:

    Telling people to ‘vote for Jim Bean and shut up’ isn’t exactly constructive. I think he would be better served by a more positive message.

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
  52. eugene creamer wrote:

    don’t be too quick and discount ‘Lets hear it’ comments regarding the subject 10th Avenue properties … timing of redevelopment events and conversion of the municipal parking lot to a rateable may have caused tax payment that exceeds historical.

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm | Permalink
  53. OLD MAN wrote:

    #50 I never said a Democrat would get elected.My son is out of town. #51 Ok Vote for Jim Bean and then go home. Happy now?

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:40 pm | Permalink
  54. Anonymous wrote:

    What’s with the pole things they put up at Pyanoe plaza by the sidewalk ? Ugly

    Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.