Skip to content

Doherty 20 Day Reveals A Wheel

The Borough has posted what it’s calling a Doherty 20 day post-election report but it’s actually just a spreadsheet of all donations made to his own campaign account during the period. ¬†Belmar law requires him to submit to the Borough the same forms he submits to NJ ELEC and additionally submit a spreadsheet of the under $300 contributors that the state doesn’t require him to furnish.

At this point I guess it doesn’t even matter because he’s already conflicted a hundred different ways.

I did notice this though:

screen-shot-2016-12-01-at-5-18-21-am

And it’s notable because of this:

screen-shot-2016-12-01-at-5-25-17-am

July 5 Bill Luddecke donates $1000 to the Giblin campaign.  November 1 the Giblin campaign donates $1000 to the Doherty campaign.

This a textbook case of a pass-through contribution or “wheeling” and is one of the practices that Belmar’s Conflict of Interest law is trying to prevent.

11 Comments

  1. Anonymous wrote:

    How did this influence information compare with the DON@TIONS received in the GIBLIN coffers?

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 9:13 am | Permalink
  2. Ms.Sarcastic wrote:

    Imagine if the Unions and Politicians gave the money to useful agendas such as the real needy, and schools on limited budgets, instead of wasting dues on BS!

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:10 am | Permalink
  3. guest#2 wrote:

    What happens to the balance of any campaign contributions to a particular candidate (if any are left at the end of an election)?

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:34 am | Permalink
  4. admin wrote:

    They can roll it over to a new campaign if they want.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink
  5. Guest wrote:

    Amazing how this Matt Doherty is performing the same political contribution tricks that he righteously fought against when he was first running for council and then mayor. Do most of the sheep still want to follow him into the slaughterhouse?

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 11:47 am | Permalink
  6. eugene creamer wrote:

    Hold your nose as you drive-by 115 Inlet Terrace.

    Real stupidity …. the NJEA must be smoking dope …. giving $7200 to a candidate that shortchanges public education with every redevelopment deal.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 1:39 pm | Permalink
  7. Anonymous wrote:

    how are the ‘pay to play’ laws investigated and enforced?

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
  8. admin wrote:

    We have to do it ourselves.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 4:07 pm | Permalink
  9. callmecynical wrote:

    The Council members cannot be counted on to police each other. In fact, I doubt that they have read the Belmar ordinances and laws that pertain to elected officials.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 5:18 pm | Permalink
  10. A Voter 2 wrote:

    Eugene they give donations that are really legal payoffs to all politicians because they don’t want competition from Charter Schools which are non union shops.The Charter Schools help children in cities like Newark succeed.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
  11. Teddy Ehmann wrote:

    #10 like Republican Dave Rible? Check out who or what contributes to his campaigns, can you say NJEA?
    #6. Gene, you are way over their heads. In order to get the point taken, you need to explain just how redevelopment ( not to mention those Belmar tax abatements effect school tax income.

    Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.