Skip to content

Mayor Senses Political Opportunity

Not sure who is getting these. ┬áMy mail didn’t come yet. ┬áThis one went to a registered Democrat.

Of course a lot of it is completely false but who would expect otherwise?

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 11.41.45 AMScreen Shot 2016-08-26 at 11.42.02 AM

31 Comments

  1. elemental wrote:

    If the mayor loses the freeholder election, then he is really a “loser”. The protester who held the sign then could be called a prophet.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
  2. Planet Belmar wrote:

    Painting the picture in a different way Matt?
    The police were not called, they were there and respectful of the rights of the few protesters. One such respectful Belmar patrolman came up to Mr. Straus holding a sign and offered to get him a chair. There were so many attendees, police, press and secret service at the “private affair” you would find it difficult to even notice nine peaceful protesters. If you were a neighbor or visiting one, your private affair made it impossible to park anywhere. Four protesters were on public property and never went on your neighbor’s lawn So someone is lying.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
  3. Belmar Independent wrote:

    Let me guess, The letter and mailing paid for by the taxpayers of Belmar and not the Belmar Democrat Committie. Right?

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  4. admin wrote:

    No “Paid for by” on the envelope. Return address is from Matt, so he probably paid.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm | Permalink
  5. Matt IS A Loser wrote:

    Matt can’t make it to meetings but he can whine on our dime. Again you are wrong on this Matt.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:55 pm | Permalink
  6. Belmar Independent wrote:

    So he will get reimbursed by the borough later. Iguess.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:14 pm | Permalink
  7. Resident wrote:

    Matt you lie. Explain that to your children so they understand why people think you are a loser. Tell them the truth.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm | Permalink
  8. A Voter 2 wrote:

    Hey Matt you started the dissent in Belmar by not following the law, hence you were sued and lost numerous times,you will lose this lawsuit also. If you don’t want you children to see you even more embarrassed RESIGN NOW!! You are a public official not the President of a a private club!

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:59 pm | Permalink
  9. Bill Straus wrote:

    Matt Doherty you are a bold faced liar! Yes I am a republican but there were no other republicans at the protest. I was not protesting as a republican I was there as a friend of Tim Harmon. Let me explain for you, you stupid mayor. My dad Charles was a patron of ALL the establishments the Harmons operated before you lived here. Also the FSOS made him an honorary member again before you were here. My dad, an ex marine was respected by the Harmons and the FSOS. So I was there to support the Harmons because of the way they treated my dad. To try to play these cards you are absolutely scum, the lowest crap on earth. I will be floating in my pool with no stress hoping the voters in Belmar and Monmouth County throw you out so bad your political career will be in the toilet. You may try to use my words against the Republicans but the voters will see through it, because of your despicable tactics. I have one more week here why don’t you call me out by name you rotten coward. Semper Fi my dad, dad I will never back down to this coward, you taught me well how to deal with a bully, I hope you are proud watching over me, dealing with this child who can’t stand like a man to face me.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
  10. Hoffa wrote:

    Matt you should take some of your advise and attend a meeting. #jokeofamayor #winalawsuit !

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 3:30 pm | Permalink
  11. Resident wrote:

    Hey dopey, you invited Senator Booker to a very well publicized although poorly attended PUBLIC fundraiser. All welcome not a private party, liar. You could have taken it away from your home but you wanted to show off all the amenities from uh favors in your new home, pool, patio, view, renovations, even the street improvements just for your house, etc. You’re ego is the problem. You are lucky there are not protesters at your home daily you are such an arrogant, annoying, unlawful mayor. Stop whining. And stop spending our money on fancy lawyers. You lose every time. What you did to the Harmon brothers is wrong which a judge will tell you. Sadly taxpayers will pay for your inflated ego. Go on a diet.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Permalink
  12. Victims wrote:

    Thank you Mayor Doherty, for your letter claiming victim status for yourself, Maggie and the three children. As a long-time resident and a previous supporter, I cannot agree with your statements. If anything, it is we the residents of Belmar who have been victimized by your brand of politics. The only thing you got right in ridiculous letter was we are a small town. Belmar has, and remains much to small and intimate for the political antics of you and Maggie.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:19 pm | Permalink
  13. Guest wrote:

    A “private event” which was open to anyone who brought a campaign contribution? Maybe the good mayor should take a look back at the not so private invitation which he posted for all to see.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm | Permalink
  14. OLD MAN wrote:

    What a drop dead idiot. Because of him and fellow democrats this small town is being sued and losing time and time again. We the people are screwed because of you and your “partners”

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
  15. Belle Marshen wrote:

    Just like Matt received a letter from the protester holding the “Matt is a Loser” sign, I too have received an apology letter from our illustrious Mayor. From the desk (a.k.a. bar at D’Jais) of Mayor Matthew Doherty…an apology: To the taxpayers of Belmar, I’m sorry you’re paying my attorney’s fees so I can try to change Belmar’s laws and do whatever I please, even if it’s against your will. I need to do things my way. You understand. To the council members, I’m sorry you have agita from trying to swallow the rubber stamp I gave you. To the locals and bennies, I’m sorry you couldn’t go to Salt this summer. You have so many choices, go somewhere else. What’s it to you anyway?! To Chef’s International, I’m sorry our agreements are so outlandish that you look like you made a deal with the devil. This will all blow over and you’ll continue to profit, so just let me handle it. To the Harmons, I’m sorry…you know what, I’m not sorry – cause you just won’t kiss my ass and give me donations – so forget you! To that young protester holding the sign saying I’m a loser, I’m sorry you were dumb enough to think I couldn’t easily use you to make myself look like a saint. And to my children, I’m sorry to use you as a political tool. Please accept my apologies in advance for all the times I use you kids as my political tool, as it’s Daddy’s job. As a matter of fact, soon it’s gonna get worse. Could you please work on looking sad and scared when I prompt you? Remember, this fall as I claw at opportunities to make my opponents look bad (whether the “opponents” are real or just suckers that speak their minds about a particular issue), I’ll need your help. When all this is over I’ll take you out for a big pork dinner.

    “Sincerely”,
    Mayor Matt Doherty

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
  16. joe goofinoff wrote:

    #15 – You have a bright future in the fast growing apology writing industry.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
  17. Voter wrote:

    I just received the ridiculous letter from Matt Doherty. Geez Matt how far can you stretch that (1) one disabled republican attended the protest on his own because you stink as mayor. What if things got out of control, oh my. All nine of them would have required a fire hosing, restraints and possibly mace. Haha you are just a desperate guy and guess what Matt you are a loser. Stop wasting taxpayers’ money on this letter with Belmar’s logo and charging us so you can continue to attempt to play the victim. Boo hoo, the protest signs tell the truth. What’s the matter dopey, trying to get a reaction from the County republicans. It’s not gonna happen.

    NO ONE BELIEVES YOU ABOUT ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU LIE. Why don’t you worry about the $49 million dollars in debt you created for Belmar taxpayers and their children. Or don’t our kids count. Their future is paying off YOUR debt.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:31 pm | Permalink
  18. Anonymous wrote:

    Base, simply base.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:01 pm | Permalink
  19. ALLTRUMPEDUP wrote:

    Whoa, so who’s thin-skinned now Mr. Mayor??? And yes we the people are “free to come to a Council Meeting and express (our) views…”, to be ridiculed, embarrassed, and belittled…., only to be called names like “thin-skinned naysayers”. Grow up anal cavity. And YOU are the one bringing your children into the mix.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:25 pm | Permalink
  20. admin wrote:

    Matt doesn’t even come to the Council meetings anymore.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
  21. madame.snark wrote:

    Letters to the Coast Star and Asbury Park Press expressing displeasure with the mayor and his doings should be forthcoming. Time is short. Believe it or not, many in town are still bamboozled by his antics and blindly trust him.

    Friday, August 26, 2016 at 9:11 pm | Permalink
  22. Tulip wrote:

    The best of this is that all tax bills go out at the same time no matter what the political leaning.Do you think the supporters will understand and know why they are getting such a large increase?
    Sounds good but I bet he wiggles everything around and some how the bills won’t make the mail boxes until
    After the election I think he is going to lose.

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 2:02 am | Permalink
  23. Eugene Creamer wrote:

    Simple fact …. Inviting 300+ guests to a “private event” in a “residential area of Belmar” was a bad idea that created parking chaos for neighbors to endure.

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 8:49 am | Permalink
  24. Anonymous wrote:

    AFFRONTED at the Parking events in Belmar’s OTHER neighborhoods? Blocked, bumper to bumper traffic and parking quests by lured visitors constantly in a loop should warrant such attention??? No, it’s the price they have to pay, right? Get on the horn about HEROIN making our children the walking dead.

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:06 am | Permalink
  25. An Observation wrote:

    #23 Eugene you are right! Matt what are you going to tell your kids when in High School they are asked by other classmates why did your dad violate Civil Rights??? I find it sad that you attack the people that disagree with your actions, yet a Judge, on numerous occasions ruled you were wrong in your actions.Don’t you think its time to start acting like a Mayor in the US, instead of acting like a dictator in a 3rd world county?

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:10 am | Permalink
  26. joe goofinoff wrote:

    #24 – Sir, heroin is only the agent used to create the concept of “walking dead.” What is the matter is what causes them to want to use heroin in the first place. It’s my opinion the children aren’t getting proper direction from the parent[s]. That’s the cause of it.

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:48 am | Permalink
  27. Neighbor wrote:

    Come on Matt cut it out. Keep the protesters calm get over yourself. Bag of wind.

    Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  28. Anonymous wrote:

    Is there a subliminal message attached to the “not in my backyard, please vote for me because I am helpless” letter you received this week?

    There are screaming hordes in front of, next to and behind our homes all summer long and, because of the parking meter increase, there is overflow into Avon and Spring Lake for their free parking. We are stuffed so matt, stuff it and I don’t mean the ballot box.

    Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:17 am | Permalink
  29. Neighbor wrote:

    No protesting in front of someone’s house just yours Matt. You are the one that has ruined our town. Now making up pay $450 per hour to defend the Harmon case where you screwed up. Don’t forget they Harmon’s attorneys) are asking for their fees for civil rights violation too. So when you lose, and you will! Belmar taxpayers will be stuck with another legal bill. Get out of town.

    Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 10:19 am | Permalink
  30. anonymous2 wrote:

    The Mayor doesn’t care about anyone but himself.. we have gone to him about issues near our home – his response is basically that we should just shut up.. this letter from him whining about his problems gave me a big laugh. PS – anyone know why our police are reserving parking for Belmar Fishing Club events? happened again.. cones placed on River Ave saying no parking.. we mostly ignored them.. I would love to see them ticket us for parking on a public street in front of our home because of a private affair..

    Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  31. Anonymous wrote:

    You people are being just a little to harsh on the Mayor. After all, he is the best Mayor we have ever had since Ken Pringle.

    Friday, September 2, 2016 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.